The CSI has collected case studies that highlight responsible quarrying rehabilitation activities. These are drawn from a range of quarry types and local habitats around the world. They include rehabilitation “lessons learned” and contact details for further information in the hope they prove useful for other companies involved in similar quarrying or rehabilitation activities. The case studies have been reviewed by external parties. As a set they can be categorized according to their focus:
- True methodological approach: Biological inventory followed by evaluation to assess ecosystem and species characteristics. Objectives are clearly linked to evaluation results
- Systematic intervention: A focus on one habitat or ecosystem e.g. forest/waterway
- Specific action: A focus on one or a few species
- Technical approach: Sharing internal technical knowledge about techniques particularly relevant to cement industry, for example excavation technologies and systems
- No biodiversity objective: Rehabilitation objectives could focus on issues like tourism, environmental education or mixed land use, but biodiversity enhancement also occurs in that process usually thanks to engagement with local stakeholders.
These case studies are examples of existing good practices. They aim to share learning and disseminate good practice, and to improve rehabilitation practices around the world, not just in the areas outlined in this set of case studies. Learning on rehabilitation is continuous and there is more progress to be made – the process of developing these provided a good opportunity for each company to consider the learning they have undergone already.
Case studies in the CSI Guidelines on Quarry Rehabilitation document
A rehabilitation linked to a local biodiversity plan (Page 5 & 6)
Inclusion of a specific stakeholders group linked to social aspects (Page 7)
Type of communication (Page 8 & 9)
Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) (Page 11)
Reference to multisite (Page 12)
Use of the Corporate Ecosystem Review (ESR) (Page 13)
Mitigate negative impacts (Page 14)
Examples of rehabilitation objectives (Page 16 & 17)
Specific technical case studies, e.g. on soil conditions, habitats, alien species, hydrology (Page 18 & 19)
Specific technical case studies, e.g. on soil conditions, habitats, alien species, hydrology (Page 22)
Click here to download the full version of the CSI Guidelines on Quarry Rehabilitation.
Other case studies
The European Cement Association (CEMBUREAU), and the European Aggregates Association (UEPG) have been compiling case studies from amongst their own members, and these can be found here under: